3 Ways to Generate Mortgage Leads From Craigslist
Many of us in the industry have used Craigslist for mortgage marketing at some point or another in order to generate more leads or website traffic. The question is, are you using Craigslist in a way that is driving traffic or deterring it?
Below is a checklist of some things to consider when making your next Craigslist posting:
1) Do the headlines of your posts attract people’s attention and make them want to click?
As you know, Craigslist is not a flashy looking website. It is very basic, and even boring. When potential clients browse the site, they are faced with long pages filled with links to different ads. It’s very easy for yours to get lost in the mix. The most important thing in effectively using Craigslist for mortgage marketing is to get people to click on your ad.
- Don’t use all capital letters in your headline – While many Loan Officers might think that writing a headline in all capital letters makes their ad stand out, it will also make your ad look like unprofessional and even “spammy”.
- Spelling and grammar is key – Nothing will kill your credibility quicker than typos and grammar issues.
- Motivations are important – Think about why someone would be looking at Craigslist in the first place. Place yourself in their shoes and write your headlines to cater to a problem or question they need answered.
- Don’t use the same headlines over and over again – Mix up your headlines from time and time to test which ones are more effective.
2) Is the content of your ad eye-catching?
Once you do get people to click on your ad after posting a great headline, it’s time to keep their interest and drive your point home.
- Be honest – Don’t promise people the world in your ads if you cannot deliver. Once they discover your ad is filled with promises you cannot keep, you have lost that person forever (along with any of their friends who they tell as well).
- Spelling and grammar is key (always!) – Again, remember that spell check is your best friend when it comes to posting effective ads.
- Utilize images along with text – Many people will create an image with text on it that includes all of the information they want to present in their ad. This typically looks fantastic when done correctly, but it is terrible for search engines. Be sure to incorporate regular text in your ad along with any pictures, and incorporate your target keywords into this text.
3) Other best practices for generating mortgage leads on Craigslist:
In addition to creating catchy headlines and engaging content, there are a few other very important things to remember.
- Don’t simply link the ad back to your homepage. They will likely get lost on your website and leave. Link them directly to the sign up form or wherever potential customers go on your site for more information on your specific services.
- Don’t keep posting the same ad over and over. If potential customers keep seeing the same headlines or content every day, they will become desensitized and uninterested.
- Include your contact information directly in the ad.
- Don’t only post in your city. Post in all surrounding cities as well.
- Don’t overload your ads with too much information.
While these are just a few examples, they will go a long way in helping you to perfect your Craigslist ads. Incorporate Craigslist into your overall mortgage marketing strategy and start generating more leads!